Sunday, February 22, 2015

6 Reasons College Is Better Than High School

1. You get to design your own schedule
Don't like getting up at 7:00? Then sign up for later classes. Want to only have to go to math class twice a week? Sign up for a Tuesday/Thursday math class. You can choose how many classes you want to take, when you want to take them, and what courses you want to take. I am not a morning person so my earliest class has been at 9:00. This semester my first class starts at 10:45 and I have a two hour lunch break. You may not always get what you want (although, I have so far) but even if you don't, you have much more freedom than you ever did in high school.

2. Your student ID actually does something
I don't know about you but I never used my high school ID for anything. In college, your college ID can do a lot for you. It can get you discounts at your favorite clothing stores and restaurants. To pay for your meals or items at the campus store you simply swipe your card. You can get free tickets to school plays, musicals, and concerts. I've gotten 3 free tickets to plays and admission to a football game with my ID. Student IDs are powerful little cards in college.

3. You get to work towards your dream more directly
In high school your classes are usually either generals or fun classes that don't really mean much but interest you. In college, most of your classes are degree centered so you get to learn about things that will benefit you in your field of choice and help you in real world. In high school I got so bored with taking classes that didn't teach me anything that I would ever need in life or in pastoral ministry. American Lit class made me want to smack my head against a wall (even though I love reading). In college, I am working towards my dream of someday reaching people for Christ as a knowledgeable pastor.

4. You get to meet new people all the time
Even if you went to a big high school chances are your college will be even larger. I went to a small school where I ran into pretty much my entire grade of 50 every day. Everyone knew everyone. In college, I am constantly meeting new and exciting people. You also get the opportunity to meet people with similar interests. Many classes will be for your major and its in those classes you get the opportunity to meet people who have similar dreams and passions as you.

5. You get a lot of exercise just going from class to class
Some may see this as a downfall but I rather like getting the opportunity to add a little more exercise to days when I spend most of my time in class or studying. In the small high school I attended the longest it ever took me to get to class was approx. 120 seconds and if you so much as stepped outside you got into trouble. At college I get to walk to class with the cool breeze blowing on my face and snowflakes lightly falling in my hair all while breathing in the chilled air. I sure couldn't do that walking from history to lunch in high school.

6. There is simply more freedom
In every respect there is more freedom in college than in high school. You can eat whatever you want whenever you want. For example, during my first semester I wasn't able to make it to my normal math class so I went to a 7:50 class instead. During the lecture the guy next to me pulled out an economy sized jar of peanut butter and went to town. Interesting choice of breakfast but you have to applaud him for exercising his freedom. Speaking of class, honestly in many cases you don't even have to show up if you don't want to. Now some professors are strict on attendance but many don't really care. Also,  no one curses you if you are late. Some people walk into my history class 30 minutes in and no one seems to care one bit. You don't have to ask the professor permission to leave or for a bathroom break. You simply go. There is so much more freedom in college than in high school.

Some photos (courtesy of Pinterest) that accurately describe some interesting aspects of the college experience...




No comments:

Post a Comment