Thursday, May 21, 2015

Home Team: What it is & why everyone needs one

What it is?
A home team is a group of people who have your back in good times and bad. They could be your parents, your coaches and mentors, your friends, your siblings, your grandparents, your pastors, or your small group leaders.

Where can you get one?
Your home team could consist of people from any part of your life. They could be people from church or school or work or home.

When should you get one?
You should find yourself a home team before life takes a turn for the worst because that is when you will need one.

Why do you need one?
We were made to be in relationships. We need companionship - even us introverts who may sometimes beg to differ. As the saying goes, no man is an island. Life is much more meaningful when we have a home team by our side. They are the people who will cheer us on and celebrate with us when we finish that marathon, ace that test, get into college, get that promotion, and finally receive the adoption paperwork. But they are also there when we are in the hospital, a person close to us dies, we don't get the job, and find out we can't have kids. We need people there with us no matter what we are going through.

How do you get one?
You don't have to ask people to be on your 'home team'. Frankly, that would probably sound weird. Just take a look at who you know in life and make a list of people you know you can count on. If you find you don't really have that many people then maybe it is time to make some new friends and discover who could be on your team.

How many people should be on your home team?
There is no set number of people you should have on your team. Your home team may have three people on while another person may say they have eleven on theirs.

Personal Notes
We talk about home teams in church on occasion and one occasion came up recently. It got me thinking about who is on my team. I'd always absorbed the message (yep, we need people - got it) but never took a look at my own life. So I decided to sit down and write out my list. I came up with 13 people. The interesting thing is that eight of them have been there for me since I was a little girl and the other 40% were people who came into my life less than 3 years ago and get this - all five of them I have added to my list in the past 3 years I met through being involved at church. Being involved in a group (whether its sports, clubs, youth group, or tech team at church) is one nearly guaranteed way to meet some people who will be there for you and take their places on your home team.

Two Challenges
Now for the challenge part. I want to make two challenges for you. Number one - make a list of the people on your home team and find some way to thank them for being there for you. Literally write down the way you plan to thank them and post it somewhere. I would really love to hear if you did this. Secondly, I want to challenge you to take a look around at your life and think about whose team you may be on and whose team you could be on.

No comments:

Post a Comment