Sunday, May 24, 2015

My Top 10 Favorite Fiction Books

This post is extremely informal. Essentially it is just a quick (or not so quick) look at my book shelf. Anyone who knows me knows I am a reader and knows I have a full book shelf. So whether you are a reader yourself or you haven't read a book for pleasure in years I just wanted to tell you about a few fictional books I would highly recommend to you. Also, if you feel like returning the favor then feel free to share your favorites with me and with everyone else - there is a comment section below where you can do that (if I figure out how to approve comments).
...................................................................................................................................................................

10. Fearless by Elvira Woodruff
Admittedly it has been seven years since I read this book but when I did I absolutely loved it and for many years I thought of it as my favorite book. The story is historical fiction and it is set in the 1700s, which is a very interesting time to learn about. A character the reader encounters is Henry Winstanley. I found him to be an absolutely fascinating character and at the end of the book I learned that he was a real person, which made him that much more interesting. Fearless is fun yet sincere. Adventurous yet heartbreaking. I think readers of any age would enjoy the story but especially younger readers (around elementary school age).

9. Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters by Lesley M. M. Blume
I read Cornelia for the first time seven years ago and then again last year. You know what? It still holds up as an incredibly fun and adventurous tale that will satisfy readers of all ages. It is a unique book in that there are several stories that are to be found in the one book. It is very fun to hear about adventures the Somerset sisters go on in different countries. Don't get me wrong it is sad too. While targeted at readers who are in middle school, it can absolutely make a 17 year old girl want to cry and I am pretty sure it could make my mother cry too. Now don't skip this book just because I said it was sad - read it. I have two copies for no apparent reason so borrow it from me.

8. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
So I went to go to see the movie with my mom when it came out. We were both equally excited to see it. She had read the book and enjoyed it. I hadn't but I was in middle school and Robert Pattinson was in it so of course I had a countdown to when we were going to see it. I rather enjoyed the movie - for more than just the sheer fact the RPatz was in it. Therefore, I decided to read the book and I was glad that I did. The book held my attention and there were many times I found it nearly impossible to put down. I easily fell in love with Jacob and was captivated by the circus. I would recommend it to a mature reader because there are certainly a few scenes in there to prepare yourself for. Still, the book is wonderful and definitely worth your time.

7. See You At Harry’s by Jo Knowles
I picked up this book about 6 months ago for little more than a dollar. I was browsing the Scholastic Warehouse sale and was drawn to it (admittedly because there was a delicious looking ice cream sundae on it and it was cheap). I read the back and decided it was worth the four quarters. It was at the Scholastic Warehouse sale and the main character was a 12 year old girl so I thought it would be a book for middle school students. Therefore, I was completely unprepared for the emotions that this book evoked in me. The feelings that these characters feel are all different and how they deal with the tragedy they face are so deep it was surprising. While not what I expected, I loved this book and would highly suggest you pick it up.

6. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Where to begin? For starters, you should read this book simply for the fact that this book is a classic. Second, you should read it because Fitzgerald can write like few authors I know of. I can't begin to count the number of quotes I love by him. Seriously, just look up "Fitzgerald Quotes" you'll see what I mean. Third, the story evokes emotion in you. Half the time you don't know what to feel. It makes you want to laugh then cheer then cry then shout then rinse and repeat. Once again, I will borrow it to you. Side note: the movie (in my opinion) is amazing. Usually I have a lot of problems with book-to-movie adaptations but the newest Gatsby really followed the book closely, which I must applaud.

5. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
This book is extremely underrated in my opinion. I first read it in 4th grade and loved it immediately. I have read it since and it certainly kept its high standing on my list after the second read. That is because the characters in it are absolutely phenomenal and I think everyone can identify with at least one of them. During the times I have read it, I have found myself constantly cheering on the characters with every trial they faced. Speaking of which, the story is incredibly unique and I found it extremely refreshing. The rest of the series and the movie never reached the beauty of the original book but that is understandable considering the expectations that A Wrinkle in Time set. It is also quite interesting to compare the principles and characters of this book to the Bible. They have quite a bit in common, which is interesting to see. Anyway, I would definitely suggest it to any and all readers.

4. Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn
This is a pretty unheard of book but there is absolutely no logical reasoning for that in my mind. I loved this book. It has everything - Nikola Tesla, the Titanic, time travel, mystery, romance. Now, take into account if Nikola Tesla or the Titanic are written on something I knock people down to get it. Still, even if you don't like Tesla (which you should) or the Titanic there's still lots to love. The romance and mystery alone are worth the read. It is definitely not like anything I have ever read before but in the best way possible. I would recommend this book to anyone but especially lovers of the Titanic, Tesla, mystery, and romance.

3. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Reason #1 to love this book: John Green wrote it. John Green is not only funny, he is also an outstanding author. This was the first book I read by him and I was amazed. I had seen the trailer for the movie and thought "that looks pretty good, maybe I should read it before it comes out". Good decision? YES. It is an amazing book with characters who are strong, super funny, kind, and overall incredible. The book teaches us a lot - about life, about love, about death, about family. While the movie is great, the book is even greater. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. Just try not to read it in public or people will most likely think your crazy if you are not good at keeping things in because you'll be laughing one moment and crying the next.


2. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
For years I refused to read The Hunger Games series. The premise of the book turned me off. But last summer my mom finally convinced me to read them (and if I am honest I really wanted to know what was going to happen to Peeta after Mom dragged me to see Catching Fire). Wow. I read the trilogy in about 6 weeks, which is fast for me. I know I am not introducing many to a brand new series but if you haven't read the books then you absolutely should. I know a lot of people skate by with just watching movies (I admit I was guilty - kind of, Mom really just wanted a companion and I agreed) and while the movie series stays quite true to the books there is certainly a lot more depth to be found in the books. The books are filled with action, developed characters, and strong values (family, strength, hope, etc.). Even if you have already seen the movies I still encourage you to read the books and even if the premise still is something you are unsure about I would encourage you to at least try it.

1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
For a long time I also fought reading the Harry Potter series. I didn't open myself up to it because of the witchcraft and wizardry aspect, which is what pushed me away for a long time. However, once I started reading I realized how much I had been missing out on by not giving it a chance. I would like to point out that I have never personally met anyone who read it and didn't like it (though I have no doubts there are individuals who feel that way). The movies are alright but cannot begin to compare with the books so don't cheap out and just watch the movies. Read the books! I wrote an entire essay for a college class on why the books are better than the movies. Anyway, to wrap up the Harry Potter books are my favorite books and I would definitely recommend them.The adventure, deep characters, and complicated plot lines are worth the read alone - not to mention the incredible life lessons to be found in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment